If your pet has been involved in a traffic accident, had a serious
fall or other traumatic injury, or exhibits one or more of the following
signs/symptoms, you should suspect internal bleeding:
1. Pale or white gums
2. Respiration may be rapid, panting.
3. Animal is lethargic, weak, reluctant to walk.
4. Animal's rectal temperature may be less tahn 100 degrees F. (Take
animal's temperature with a rectal thermometer. Apply a small amount
of petroleum jelly to the tip of the thermometer before inserting
into the rectum. Leave in at least 2 minutes before checking. The
normal temperature for both dogs and cats is approximately 100.5
1. Treat the animal for possible shock. (See Shock.)
1. Keep the animal quiet, still and warm and transport to a veterinarian
as quickly as possible (see Moving
An Injured Cat, Moving
an Injured Dog).